Pulmonary Physiology Laboratory
Specializing in the evaluation of cycling, air travel, scuba diving, mountain climbing and general fitness, and pulmonary diagnosis and evaluation of shortness of breath, cough, wheeze, asthma, chronic lung disease, pre-operative evaluation.
About the Laboratory
The Laboratory is state-of-the-art with newly renovated space and equipment. The Pulmonary function laboratory is part of the Department of Medicine/Division of Pulmonary Medicine. Dr. Klaus D. Lessnau is the medical director and Stephen Lowenstein the technical director. In addition to diagnostic testing, the laboratory is actively involved in research related to health and disease.
Full Diagnostic Laboratory
A pulmonary function test is a series of test that measure lung function. The tests provide information about the amount of air a person’s lungs can hold and how effectively the lungs work. A pulmonary function test may be done with a person who has shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing. The test can be used to diagnose respiratory conditions, including the following:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Abnormal blood flow to the lungs such as pulmonary hypertension
- Reactive airway disease, such as asthma
- Other respiratory diseases
- Preoperative risk assessment, screening for smokers and chemotherapy toxicity, etc.
- Evaluate exercise capacity and conditioning
- Diffusion capacity
- Lung volumes by plethysmography or Nitrogen washout
- Maximum voluntary ventilation, maximal inspiratory and expiratory pressures
- Arterial blood gas analysis, pulse oximetry pre and post exercise
- Airway resistance Impulse oscillometry or plethysmopraphy
We also offer specialized testing for a Variety of more unusual or elaborate indications.
- Airway Hyperreactivity Evaluation with Exercise, Cold air or Methacholine
- Cardiopulmonary stress tests for fitness and diagnostic evaluation
- Disability Evaluations
- Nutritional Assessment with a metabolic cart
- Pulmonary Function Testing Consultation
- Oxygen Dosage Determinations
- Air travel evaluation for shortness of breath
- Respiratory Drive, P100 with and without Co2
Making an Appointment
Patients can be scheduled Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. by calling the laboratory at (212) 434 3490. Testing can be arranged within 48 hours, if necessary same day. Most insurance are accepted.