Established in 1869, Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital(MEETH) is internationally recognized for its accomplishments in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and plastic surgery.
A part of Lenox Hill Hospital, MEETH provides thousands of patients a year with the highest quality and most advanced treatments available in its state-of-the-art ambulatory surgery facilities. MEETH also offers numerous outpatient specialty clinics for adults and children.
MEETH has an established reputation as a premier academic institution, providing post-graduate training and instruction to physicians and clinicians. The institute trains resident physicians in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and plastic surgery.
Tradition of Excellence
Among its many innovations, MEETH is recognized for achievement of the following milestones:
- First allergy clinic in the United States - 1916
- First diagnostic treatment clinic for glaucoma - 1942
- First eye bank - 1944
- First small-incision phacoemulsification cataract extraction - 1967
- First cochlear implant center - 1983
- First nasal center - 1989
- First excimer laser vision correction trials - 1990
- First laser procedure for cataract extraction - 1993