Genitourinary reconstruction encompasses a broad range of surgical procedures whose purpose is to correct congenital or acquired abnormalities. Although many of these are a consequence of injuries, often there is no identifiable cause. Types of injuries include motor vehicle accidents, falls, sports injuries and penetrating trauma.
Examples of commonly performed procedures include:
- repair of traumatic injuries to the upper (kidney and ureters) and lower (bladder and urethra) urinary tracts, and to the genitals.
- surgical management of anterior urethral strictures and posterior urethral disruptions.
- reconstruction of genital abnormalities
- correction of penile curvature
- revision of circumcision
- reconstruction of prior urinary diversions allowing in selected patients better cosmetic result