Lenox Hill Hospital's Center for Maternal and Fetal Medicine offers a number of services to help you and your baby nurse successfully and safely, including:
- Lactation classes - offered 7 days a week
- Individualized breastfeeding plans
- Medela breast pumps for in-patient use
- Breastfeeding help line: 212.434-2242
(Leave a message and you call will be returned within 24 hours)
Breastfeeding - First Steps
- It is important that you start breastfeeding within the first 2 hrs after delivery (or as soon as possible). Let your doctor and nurse that you would like to nurse your baby as soon as possible and to place the dried baby skin to skin on mother. This keeps infant warm, soothes infant, colonizes infant with mother's natural flora, promotes bonding.
- If you need assistance breastfeeding, all nursing staff is able to assist you.
- If your baby is in the NICU, it is very importance to start breast stimulation or pumping as soon as possible, preferably within 6 hrs of delivery (or sooner).