|Watch our videos|
|Connect with us|
|Read our E-Magazine|
|Receive our E-Newsletters|
In 1857, a group of community leaders recognized the need for medical services among the immigrant community and came together to found the German Dispensary. Since then, Lenox Hill Hospital’s physicians, nurses and staff have cared for millions of patients and their families, earning a national reputation for medical innovation and outstanding care.
Today, Lenox Hill Hospital is internationally recognized for excellence in cardiovascular care, orthopaedic surgery, sports medicine, maternal and child health, bariatric surgery as well as ophthalmology and otolaryngology, among other services. The hospital is committed to the highest standards of medical education, cutting edge clinical research and innovative community outreach programs. Each year, Lenox Hill Hospital treats over 325,000 patients.
1857: On January 19th, the German Dispensary, later renamed Lenox Hill Hospital, is founded.
On May 28th, the facility at 132 Canal Street opens to the public.
1862: The German Dispensary moves to larger quarters at 8 East Third Street to accommodate the 10,000 patients treated each year.
1863: Ernst Krackowitzer, MD, a co-founder of the German Dispensary, serves as a Special Inspector of Hospitals and as Consulting Surgeon to the Union Army during the American Civil War.
1868: The new German Hospital and Dispensary opens at Fourth Avenue (Park Avenue) and 77th Street.
1887: Four young German-American women form the hospital’s first Nurses Training School class.
1890: The horse-drawn ambulance is kept at the ready in a livery stable on East 77th Street near First Avenue.
1906: A School of Nursing graduate, known as the “Sea Nurse,” is the first U.S. nurse employed by a cruise line.
1907: The hospital establishes the first physical therapy department in the U.S.
1908: The hospital opens the first tuberculosis division in New York City.
1909: The 40th anniversary celebration of the hospital Alumni Association is held at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel on November 13, 1909.
1918: In July, the German Hospital is renamed Lenox Hill Hospital.
1931: Prime Minister Winston Churchill of Great Britain is treated at Lenox Hill Hospital for serious injuries suffered when he was hit by a car while crossing Park Avenue.
1933: The hospital establishes a maternity service, opens a cancer clinic, and makes final preparations for the debut of its heart clinic.
1938: The first angiocardiography in the country is performed at Lenox Hill Hospital.
1944: Emblematic of the patriotic sacrifice and commitment of many physicians, nurses and staff of Lenox Hill Hospital, Gerda Mulack, graduate of the School of Nursing, is shot down during the transportation of wounded soldiers from the front lines during World War II.
1955: Lenox Hill Hospital is one of the first hospitals in New York City to open a cardiac catheterization laboratory.
1957: The hospital creates one of the first intensive care units in New York City.
Nurses model historic uniforms to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Lenox Hill Hospital.
1963: The appointment of Hugh R. K. Barber, MD, the world’s first ob/gyn oncologic surgeon and a pioneer in ovarian cancer research, as Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, solidifies Lenox Hill Hospital's reputation as an innovative leader in medical treatment and care for women.
1967: The hospital opens the first cardiac care unit in the New York metropolitan area.
1969: Margaret Mead delivers the commencement address during the graduation exercises for the School of Nursing.
1973: The Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma, the first hospital-based center in the nation for the study of sports medicine, is established under the leadership of James Nicholas, MD, then the hospital’s Director of Orthopaedic Surgery.
The last class of students graduates from the School of Nursing.
1975: Lenox Hill Hospital opens a state-of-the-art Neonatal Critical Care Unit for medically vulnerable newborns.
1978: Simon H. Stertzer, MD, performs the first U.S. angioplasty procedure at Lenox Hill Hospital.
1984: The Irma and Abram Croll Endoscopy Center opens.
1989: The first Lyme Disease Center in New York City is established at Lenox Hill Hospital.
1990: The Hess Interventional Cardiology Center, one of the most technically advanced facilities in the New York metropolitan area, opens.
1991: Lenox Hill Hospital doctors implant the first coronary stent in New York City.
1993: Lenox Hill Hospital becomes a major teaching affiliate of NYU Medical Center.
One year after orthopaedic surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital for a paralyzing football injury, New York Jet Dennis Byrd walks to the podium at the Autumn Ball to thank physicians and staff.
1994: Bringing further distinction to Lenox Hill Hospital’s outstanding reputation in the fields of orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine, The Center for Total Joint Replacement opens under the leadership of Chitranjan S. Ranawat, MD.
Valavanur A. Subramanian, MD, Chairman of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, pioneers minimally invasive direct coronary artery bypass surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital.
1999: The Lenox Hill Hospital Heart and Vascular Institute is formed to provide comprehensive heart and vascular care through a multidisciplinary team approach.
2000: Lenox Hill Hospital is one of the first hospitals in the nation to acquire a state-of-the-art robotic cardiac system, which allows surgeons to perform minimally invasive heart bypass surgery.
Lenox Hill Hospital becomes the sponsor of Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Institute, an internationally renowned specialty hospital recognized as a leader in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and plastic surgery.
2001: Lenox Hill Hospital assembles a disaster team to care for casualties of the September 11th terrorist attack at the World Trade Center. Emergency crews are sent to Ground Zero and supply runs to the area are conducted to aid the rescue workers. The hospital sets up a free, walk-in Crisis Counseling Center, staffed by the hospital’s psychiatrists and therapists, and the blood donor center is expanded to accommodate the thousands of people who come to the hospital to give blood. Volunteers process blood donor forms, hand out refreshments, and answer phones. In addition to our loyal core volunteers, 750 walk-in volunteers sign up to help.
2003: The first FDA approved drug coated stent in the nation is implanted at Lenox Hill Hospital.
The Morris and Alma Schapiro Medical Intensive Care Unit opens.
2006: The Lillian and Sol Goldman Family Cardiac Care Center opens.
Lenox Hill Hospital opens the new, expanded radiology center. The center features the only SPECT-CT in the Northeastern United States, which allows physicians to see inside the body in great detail, and a new 64 slice CT scanner, one of the most highly advanced computerized imaging technologies available today.
2007: The Anne & Isidore Falk Center for Emergency Care opens at Lenox Hill Hospital. The new 15,750 square foot facility is double the size of the previous space and features state-of-the-art equipment and technology. Lenox Hill Hospital provides emergency care to over 65,000 patients annually.
2009: Lenox Hill Hospital surgeons perform New York’s first totally endoscopic robotic coronary artery bypass surgery on a beating heart.
A Lenox Hill Hospital multidisciplinary cardiac and vascular team pioneer an important new technique to repair para-valvular leaks in post valve replacement surgery patients.
The Interventional Cardiology team at Lenox Hill Hospital achieves a distinctive milestone by placing the 2,000th carotid artery stent in a patient.