Benoxinate/fluorescein (Into the eye)
Benoxinate (ben-OX-i-nate), Fluorescein (FLURE-a-seen)
This medicine is used to numb and stain your eyes. Helps your doctor to view your eye during eye exams and procedures.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fluorescein or benoxinate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Remove your contact lenses before receiving this medicine.
- This medicine is placed directly onto the surface of your eye as a drop.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using other eye medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have allergies, overactive thyroid or heart disease.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you wear contact lenses.
- This medicine will numb your eyes. Avoid touching your eye until the effect of this medicine has worn off.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe pain or swelling of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Burning or redness in your eyes.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.