Treats infants who were born with certain heart, lung, and blood vessel problems. May help to increase the amount of oxygen-rich blood that is pumped from the heart to the body, until other treatments can be done.
Prostin VR PediatricThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Your baby should not be given this medicine if he has had an allergic reaction to alprostadil.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.This medicine is given through a needle or a catheter placed in a vein. It may also be given through a catheter in your baby's umbilical cord.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure caregivers know if your baby has problems with breathing, digestion, or bleeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Rash or hives, swelling of the face or hands, or swelling in the mouth or throat.
- Fast or slow heartbeats.
- Trouble breathing.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Seizures, fainting, or becoming limp (not moving).
- Redness, swelling, or leaking from (wetness around) an IV site.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint swelling, or a decrease in movement of the arms or legs.
- Diarrhea, swollen belly, vomiting, or other digestion problems.
- Fever, flushing (unusual warmth or redness of the skin), or problems keeping a warm body temperature.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.